Iran Says Qatar Holding Three of Its Pilots, Seeks Red Cross Help


Iran Says Qatar Is Holding Three of Its Pilots, Wants the Red Cross to Step In

The Pakistan Times — Islamabad, August 16, 2026

Iran's military has gone public with a claim that's been sitting quietly in the background for months, that three Iranian air force pilots are alive and being held in Qatar, and that Doha hasn't allowed them any contact with their families for half a year now. General Mohammad Bagherzadeh, who heads the armed forces committee tracking missing personnel, put the appeal in writing to the International Committee of the Red Cross, naming the three men as Javad Salehi, Abdolmajid Dashtian, and Omran Behraveshian.

The backstory here goes back to early March, right in the middle of the wider war. Two Iranian Su-24 fighter jets were involved in a strike on Al Udeid Air Base, the largest US military installation in the region, sitting on Qatari soil. Qatar's air force says it shot both jets down over the Persian Gulf that same day. The crews ejected, and for months afterward Iran's own public position was that all four crew members were simply missing, not captured. That changed gradually. Iran's army confirmed last month that DNA testing had identified the body of one pilot, Majid Kazemi, which was eventually returned home. As for the other three, Tehran spent weeks pressing Doha for basic information and getting essentially nothing back, with Qatari officials repeatedly saying they had no knowledge of where the men were.

Now Iran is shifting from missing to captured, a notably different claim. Bagherzadeh's letter to the Red Cross doesn't just ask for information anymore, it directly accuses Qatari forces of holding the men and cutting them off from their families and from Iranian officials entirely. It's worth noting this is coming from Iran's side only. Qatar has not issued any public confirmation that these three pilots are alive, in custody, or being deliberately isolated, and Doha's earlier statements suggested they genuinely had no information at all, a claim Tehran is now effectively rejecting.

This whole episode sits awkwardly against Qatar and Iran's actual relationship, which has generally stayed warmer than most other Gulf states manage with Tehran. The two countries share the world's largest gas field, and Qatar has spent years positioning itself as a trusted mediator between Iran and the West. Iran itself reportedly gave Doha advance warning before striking Al Udeid back in March specifically to limit the damage and avoid a bigger rupture between the two. That backdrop makes this pilot dispute feel less like a fresh diplomatic rift and more like unfinished business from a war that technically stopped firing missiles months ago but never really settled its outstanding grievances.

Read More:

Sources: Fars News Agency, Iran International, Mehr News Agency

© The Pakistan Times. All rights reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

US Sea Drones Used Against Iran: How They Work and Why It Matters

World's Poorest Countries 2026: The Bottom Five by GDP Per Capita

How Volker Türk Won a Second Term as UN Human Rights Chief